Whether your stress is coming from your job, family, friends, a relationship, etc. there are a bunch of different ways one can lessen their stress levels. Of course, it won’t be gone forever (don’t we wish?) but temporary relief is better than nothing! Check out some of the ways I like to alleviate stress.
1. Cleaning. This may sound weird to some people and even cause stress for some. But try it out and see what happens. Usually once you start, it’s harder to stop and you end up cleaning the whole house. It gets your mind off things and helps you focus on the task at hand. Throw on some music to add some fun to it.
2. Cooking. This is for those of you who actually enjoy to cook. Pour yourself a glass of wine and make a delicious dish. Cooking can be very relaxing if you let it. And the best part is, you get to indulge afterwards.
3. Working Out. The hardest part to working out is getting started. So, once you push yourself it will get easier as you go. After your work out, you will feel better than before and will feel satisfied knowing you didn’t back out of doing it.
4. Yoga/Meditation. This is something I’ve only tried a couple of times but when I did do it, it definitely made me feel relaxed. Apple has a bunch of apps you can download to listen to soft, spa-like music and most are free to download. You can also look some up on YouTube if you don’t want to download anything. The music will help set the mood and make you feel extra peaceful.
5. Take a bubble bath. Light some candles and take a nice, long bath. Even if your mind is still running rapid from the day you had, your body will be forced to calm down… soon making you feel amazing. Put on some soothing music and drink a glass of wine to really set it off.
6. Get organized. This is another idea that some people may find to be weird to alleviate stress. But if you think about it, when things are cluttered and all over the place, your mind feels that way as well. So, once you have everything in place, neat and clean you will gain a sense of fulfillment knowing that it’s one less thing to worry about.
7. Blast the music and sing along. Even if you can’t sing, let it out anyway. It’s sort of like screaming really loud and feeling relief after. The music and singing will boost your mood.
8. Get a massage. You may think massages are expensive, but local nail salons sometimes do a better job and are less expensive than spas. I do this every now and then just to get some temporary back pain relief without breaking the bank.
9. Take a road trip. This is one I wish I could do more. Take a short road trip one weekend with a friend, lover or even by yourself if it’s what you need. Just being away from your routine life and daily surrounding will give you a sense of serenity. And another great plus, you will have the chance to explore new things and see new places.
10. Drink a glass of wine, or three. I mentioned wine a few times in this post so it’s easy to tell that I use it as one of my stress relievers. Get together with the girls and have a wine night or cuddle up on the couch and watch a feel-good movie to take you out of your element for a bit.